Wednesday, April 10, 2013

F is for Forty-two

Lately I’ve been seeing ads for a new movie called 42.

It’s about Jackie Robinson playing for the Brooklyn Dodgers. It’s an important story, outlining the first black man to play baseball with white men and the resistance that he met.

This wasn’t the first movie about this. In fact, in 1950 Jackie Robinson starred in a film that dealt with the same story.

Okay, so to the point of this entry. I think that this is a great topic for a movie. It looks like the movie will be great and I’ll probably see it at some time. The problem is the title. 42.

42 is NOT a good title for a sports movie.

Okay, Jackie Robinson wore number 42. I get that.

But 42 is NOT a good title for a sports movie.

The movie looks like it has some decent talent. I don’t remember seeing any other performances by Chadwick Boseman, but I’m sure I have since his IMDB indicates that he’s been on ER, CSI, Law & Order, etc. I just don’t remember names.

And the movie has Harrison Ford. Ah, another “F-word.” Ford.

I suppose at this point I could digress, talking about Ford’s Model T.

Or telling about the Ford Fairlane that my family had when I was younger.

But I won’t. Instead I’ll go back to Harrison Ford. Who — as everyone knows — played Han Solo.

And Indiana Jones.

And a faux-Amishman in Witness.

And a cowboy in Cowboys vs. Aliens.

Harrison Ford has credibility, even though his character in 42 doesn’t look at all like his usual personae.

And Harrison Ford sort of has ties to what I consider to be the real meaning of 42. After all, he ties in to both cult favorites and sci-fi.

Which brings me to 42. Not the movie which will open this week but the meaning that has been attached since the late 70’s/early 80’s.

Yes, that’s right. 42 is NOT a sports theme but the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Yes, 42 is associated with towels, but not those found in locker rooms. 42 is associated with towels that aid in time travel.

The Jackie Robinson movie should have been made and released. But not under the title “42.”


No comments:

Post a Comment